Stephen F. Austin State University
Ed & gwen cole art cetner
Located in the historic district of downtown Nacogdoches, the original two story structure was built in 1889. Renovated in the 1930’s in an Art Deco style, the Texas Historical Commission required the exterior of the building to be restored to that period. Frameless glass storefronts with granite bases and Art Deco styled aluminum doors were installed at the main entrance. Existing brick at the front and rear facades was restored, as was the stucco of the side elevation.
The interior was completely demolished for construction of the new multiuse spaces with the first floor consisting of a reception area, a large gallery with adjacent kitchen, storage, toilet rooms, and elevator and the second floor containing a hallway gallery, art storage room, multipurpose gallery, conference room, offices and toilet rooms. The design allows for versatility throughout with open spaces, adjustable lighting, extensive power and data options for technology based displays, and large retractable projection screens. Detailing and the use of modern materials such as metal ceilings, stainless steel columns, glass panels and guardrails bring high style to the center of this rural city.
Since its opening in 2006, the Ed and Gwen Cole Art Center has housed a variety of exhibits and hosted numerous cultural events. Available for such uses as film viewings, meetings, seminars, and social functions, the facility has become the center of a revitalized downtown area.